Sika is member of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development since 2010. The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a CEO-led, global association of some 200 companies dealing exclusively with business and sustainable development. The Council provides a platform for companies to explore sustainable development, share knowledge, experiences and best practices, and to advocate business positions on these issues in a variety of forums, working with governments, non-governmental and intergovernmental organizations.
The Council’s objectives are to:
- Be a leading business advocate on sustainable development;
Participate in policy development to create the right framework conditions for business to make an effective contribution to sustainable human progress;
- Develop and promote the business case for sustainable development;
- Demonstrate the business contribution to sustainable development solutions and share leading edge practices among members;
Contribute to a sustainable future for developing nations and nations in transition.
- Membership of the WBCSD is by invitation of the Executive Committee to companies committed to sustainable development. Member companies pledge their support and contribution to the WBCSD by making available their knowledge and experience, and appropriate human resources. They are asked to publicly report on their environmental performance and to aspire to widen their reporting to cover all three pillars of sustainable development - economic, social and environmental.
The WBCSD is significant in its advocacy of largely market-oriented solutions to challenges of sustainable development. This approach includes:
- Alerting business to the need for change to become sustainable
Promotion of sustainability, sharing best practice
- Taking 'initiative' by making sustainability a global concern, backed by large and influential multinationals, corporations and organizations