Why Do Bridges Need Protecting?
To improve the performance and durability of reinforced concrete surfaces on bridge structures, additional protection systems are frequently required, particularly in refurbishment situations. Typical concrete protection systems for bridges can be classified as hydrophobic impregnations, sealing impregnations, surface coatings, or corrosion inhibitors. These are designed for use in different situations or collectively in alternative combinations, to greatly reduce damage to theconcrete surfaces and to stop or significantly reduce the rate of steel reinforcement corrosion. Thus preventing the even more significant structural damage, that would otherwise occur.
- Protection against ingress of water, chloride and carbon dioxide
- High resistance against UV radiation
- Resistance against frost and wide temperature variations
Sika's Bridge Protection Products
Sika provides a wide range of tested and well proven concrete protection systems based on different technologies including hydrophobic impregnations, impregnations, rigid and elastic surface coatings, plus surface applied corrosion inhibitors. All of these Sika products and systems fully comply with various standards and regulations.
Total Corrosion Management - Future Proofing Bridges from Further Corrosion
Sika® FerroGard®-903+ is a surface applied mixed corrosion inhibitor, designed for use as an impregnation of steel reinforced concrete and is an improved formulation of the original Sika® FerroGard®-903.
Sika® FerroGard®-903+ is based on organic compounds. Sika® FerroGard®-903+ penetrates the concrete and forms a protective monomolecular layer on the surface of the reinforcing steel.
Protection with Sika® FerroGard®-903+ both delays the start of corrosion and reduces the corrosion rate. Corrosion protection with Sika® FerroGard®-903+ increases the service and maintenance life cycles by up to 15 years when used as a part of a complete Sika Concrete Repair and Protection System.
- Tried and tested sacrificial anode with over 15 years track record, with 25-30 years life expectancy of anode.
- Suitable for most levels of chlorideEconomical solution
- Suitable for new and existing structures
- Particularly suitable for highway structures
- For chloride and contaminated concrete
- Different types and sizes available
- Cathodic protection
- Discrete impressed current anode 25-50 years life expectancy
- Stops corrosion of steel
- Offers a high level of cathodic protection
- Can be fully monitored and maintained
- Suitable for high steel density
- Different sizes available
Sika® Ebonex® System - PDS
Sika Solutions for Fair Faced Concrete
Durable, deep penetrating, protective hydrophobic impregnations for facades, beams, columns and all areas of the bridge super structure:
(To download the product datasheet and/or safety datasheet, please click either 'PDS' or 'SDS' below)
Silane based products
Silane/Siloxane combination based product
Sika Solutions for Protecting Concrete
Sika Solutions for Cracking Concrete
High build, film-forming protective concrete coating system with crack-bridging abilities:
Water dispersed, high build, acrylic resin based, elastic intermediate and surface levelling coating
Water based, high build, elastic crack-bridging, coloured, protective top-coating