The protection of the cleaned, exposed reinforcement is achieved by isolating the reinforcement from the surrounding concrete.
How to select the right product
Sika has several products for this purpose; all using active corrosion inhibitors. The selection of the most appropriate product is dependent on the chemical exposure level and the concrete replacement being used, plus the extent and volume of steel to be treated.
Product: SikaTop® Armatec® 110 EpoCem®
- Provides barrier to chloride ion diffusion and penetration
- Must be applied around the full circumference of the steel bars and the areas that were corroded.
SikaTop® Armatec® 110 EpoCem® conforms with EN 1504 Part 9 Principle 11 (CA) Control of anodic areas: Method 11.1 Painting reinforcement with active coatings and comply with EN1504 Part 7 reinforcement corrosion protection.
Additional protection can also be provided to steel that is not actually exposed, but is at risk of corroding, i.e. in carbonated or acidic concrete. This is done by the application of Sika® FerroGard® corrosion inhibitors.
Product: Sika® Ferrogard® 903+
- Act on both anodic and cathodic areas
- Forms passivating film layer over the surface of the steel
- Surface applied
- Significantly reduce the rate of steel corrosion
This conforms with EN 1504-9 Principle 11 (CA) Control of Anodic Areas, Method 11.3 Applying corrosion inhibitors in or to the concrete.