What is Self Compacting Concrete?
Self-compacting concrete (SCC) is an innovative concrete that does not require vibration for placing and compaction. It is able to flow under its own weight, completely filling formwork and achieving full compaction, even in the presence of congested reinforcement. The hardened concrete is dense, homogeneous and has the same engineering properties and durability as traditional vibrated concrete.
Self-compacting concrete has higher fines content than conventional concrete due to higher binder content and a different combined aggregate grading curve. These adjustments, combined with specially adapted superplasticisers, produce unique fluidity and inherent compactability.
Potential of Using Sika ViscoFlow® technology for Self Compacting Concrete
- Excellent self-compacting properties
- Significant water reductions
- Easy and simplified placing
- Excellent flow even around dense reinforcement
- Easy finishing
- High strength
- Consistent slump and flow
Sika's Self Compacting Concrete Solutions
Properties and Advantages of Sika ViscoFlow® Self Compacting Concrete Technology
The outstanding properties and advantages of Sika ViscoFlow® technology are of considerable benefit to everyone involved in the project: concrete producers, contractors, specifiers and clients.
Improved Production and Placing Process:
- Reduced labour and equipment costs
- Faster placing times
- Less finishing work
- Lower concrete consumption (when thinner elements can be produced)
- Faster turnaround of formwork and moulds
Improved Quality and Durability:
- Fewer rejects or claims
- Increased service life
- Smooth and uniform surfaces
Improved Health and Safety:
- Less vibration reduces the danger of “white finger syndrome” for operatives
- Reduced vibration prevents hearing damage and improves workplace communication
- Less disturbance of other trades or neighbours