What are EPD's?
An Environmental Product Declaration provides a specifier with product and company specific information. It allows you to evaluate the environmental impact of using that product in a particular setting taking into account factors including:
- Impact of raw material procurement
- Chemical substances
- Emissions to soil, water and air
EPD's have a wide scope for application and can be used in selections such as:
- Green Public procurement (GPP)
- Building assessment schemes (e.g. LEED and BREEAM)
- Environmentally Sensitive Design
EPD's are suitable for building assessment schemes such as BREEAM and LEED since they are:
- Based on international standards
- Include life cycle analysis
- Account for many environmental impact categories
- Are independently verified and allow you to make a direct comparison with an alternative solution within the same product category.